Keolis Downer’s Hunter chief executive, Campbell Mason, is moving on, less than a month before the company rolls out its new bus network in Newcastle.
Mr Mason has overseen Newcastle Transport, the city’s newly privatised bus and ferry service, since it began six months ago.
Unions and NSW Minister for Transport Andrew Constancecriticised Keolis for repeatedly underpayingbus drivers in the first months of the transition, but the company said this had no bearing on Mr Mason leaving to take up a position inanother part of the business.
The company was praised for its handling of the busy Supercars weekend in late November.
Newcastle Transport last month announced new bus routes and timetables to come into effect across the city on January 14.
Mr Campbell has been replaced by Mark Dunlop, theformer general manager of Keolis buses in South .
“Mark has been transitioning into the role since September and has more than 30 years’ experience in bus operations,” a Keolis Downer spokesperson said.
“The transition reflects Keolis Downer Hunter moving from the contract award, consultation and establishment phase through to the ongoing daily operation of the network.
“Campbell Mason has led Keolis Downer Hunter through a significant change process, establishing Newcastle Transport, the Voice of Newcastle program and the announcement of our finalised new network.
“The end of this year is a natural point to transition leadership to Mark, with Campbellmoving back to Sydney to take up a new role within the Downer organisation.”
The state government awarded Keolis Downer a 10-year contract to run Newcastle’s buses and ferries 12 months ago.
Newcastle Transport will also operate the city’s light rail system when it starts in 2019.
Rough start for private operator
Keolis Downer releases new bus network
Commuters criticise new bus routes